August 07, 2006

Now if you'll excuse me...

Tonight is my last kickball game of the season and because of that, any time I've ended an interaction with someone today, I've said, "Now if you'll excuse me, I have a kickball game to play." I would then pivot on my heels and swiftly depart.

But on top of that, I've been doing some thinking about how it is you can claim to love someone and then just cut them out of your life without thinking twice. There are several people in my life to whom this applies. Many, in fact. It's the way I handled things when I was 17. (And Rachael, I do believe I handled a fight with you like this once and all I can say is I'm so, so sorry. I was young. And emotionally immature. I had a lot of issues. I've worked on them, am working on them, etc, etc.) So obviously, the people that have done (or are doing) this to me are probably like I was when I was 17, even though they're much older than 17. And even though I'm trying to be compassionate and understand, the way my good friend the Dali Lama would want me to, it can be tough and can seem unfair at times.

Ah, but life isn't fair, is it? After all, even though my kickball team was in a three-way tie for second (with two teams tied for first), we were ranked 5th in the league. We're playing the 6th place team tonight to see who wins 5th place. Our record is 4-2. Theirs is 2-4. Doesn't seem fair, does it?

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a kickball game to play.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, that's ok. I got you to start talking to me again, didn't I? It only took 12 years.....I'm nothing if not persistent! ;-)

Happy Worker said...

It's an admirable trait. :)