August 21, 2006

Healthy snacks suck.

While I was "training" for the relay, I think my eating habits weren't so good so now that I'm not running five miles a day, I'm trying to be a bit more healthy. I brought sugar snap peas and baby carrots to work with me today and they were okay but peanut butter cups are so much better. And don't even get me started on peanut butter cup ice cream...

5 comments:

Marisa said...

Have you looked at nutritiondata.com? If you analyze food on their site, you can look up the "fullness factor" and then, I think at the bottom of the page, click on something and they'll recommend healthier alternatives. So, the healthy snacks you're eating now might not have the same fullness factor as a peanut butter cup, which is just sabotage!

Happy Worker said...

Fantastic! I think you're right: Veggies are not the same as peanut butter cups. I've recently been very into string cheese as a snack and I think that might be a little closer to the PB cups. But honestly, I have a hard time not eating anything that has peanut butter in it. It's so easy for me to justify the PB related snack - it's got protein and carbs. What more do you need?

Oi! Ruby said...

OK - so I a few years ago I read an article in Bicyling Magazine and they compared the nutritional value of breakfast on the go...and an Egg & Sausage McMuffin w/out the cheese has more nutritional and literal bang for the buck then a bagel w/ cream cheese. So the filling quality can be quite deceiving...and Egg McMuffins rule!

Anonymous said...

There is a dairy here in TN that is coming out with peanut butter cookie dough ice cream. I bet you would like that!

Happy Worker said...

There's a place in Boulder called Glacier Homemade Ice Cream that has some kind of uber peanut butter flavor. I forget what it's called but it's peanut butter ice cream with (I think) peanut butter cookie dough and maybe peanut butter cups? Dunno, there's chocolate of some kind in there and it's fantastic! I wonder how this would compare to an Egg McMuffin in a breakfast food showdown...

Mmm... Egg McMuffin. I'm getting a little hungry over here. This topic thread is dangerous!