August 19, 2006

Lost and Found

I have a black and silver ring that was made from an old typewriter key. The ring has been missing for over a month, ever since I went to Pittsburgh for the 4th. I brought the ring with me and it never came back. I thought it had fallen out of my bag at Cara's place but she searched and didn't find it. The only other option would have been Pete's but I wasn't about to ask him if he found it and since he's mailed every other crazy item to me since he moved, I figured if he had found the ring, he would have mailed that too.

So this morning, I was supposed to leave for Vancouver to spend a week with Pete, had the ticket and everything. My flight has departed and I'm still in my living room in my pajamas. But, as I was sorting through one of my drawers, a small, shiny, round object fell out. It was the ring that's been missing since July. I'm trying to see some kind of symbolism in this, like everything that I've wanted/needed has been right here in front of me the whole time but I'm having a hard time seeing it, you know?

2 comments:

Oi! Ruby said...

I completely agree! I've been told too many times that miss or overlook what is acutally important in my life and instead spend too much time trying to help people get the baggage into that darn overhead compartment ;

Happy Worker said...

I hear you there. I think if you've struggled with your own baggage, it's hard sometimes not to want to help other people with theirs. But not everybody's good at letting other people help them.