But really, the decision was completely logical and fair. If they kept Pluto as a planet, they'd have to make something like 40 other "dwarf planets" real planets and that doesn't make sense.
So... maybe we shouldn't feel so bad for Pluto. He's got friends (the 40 other not-quite-planets), he's got a support network, he's got a place where he belongs, and probably, he's happy. Still, I'm going to miss him.
I also have heard that some people suggest that instead of "dwarf planet," Pluto should be made a "Planette" and I kind of like that a lot.
What's really funny is that I was talking about Eric Mamajek not too long ago! A friend and I were talking about waffles for some reason and it reminded me of how, in seventh grade, Eric Mamajek spilled syrup on himself while having waffles for breakfast. I guess he didn't have time to change before the bus arrived so he came to school with a giant maple syrup stain and he totally smelled like the stuff too. Due to the incident, people started calling him "Maple Mamy" and the nickname stuck for the rest of his time in the Bethel Park school system. So now, even though he's an accomplished astronomer (who may or may not be responsible for Pluto's demotion), all I can think of is the maple syrup incident.
4 comments:
I don't like it either - why do they always have to pick on the little guys?
Seriously.
But really, the decision was completely logical and fair. If they kept Pluto as a planet, they'd have to make something like 40 other "dwarf planets" real planets and that doesn't make sense.
So... maybe we shouldn't feel so bad for Pluto. He's got friends (the 40 other not-quite-planets), he's got a support network, he's got a place where he belongs, and probably, he's happy. Still, I'm going to miss him.
I also have heard that some people suggest that instead of "dwarf planet," Pluto should be made a "Planette" and I kind of like that a lot.
Eric Mamajek from high school was at that conference. I bet he played a part in Pluto's demotion
What's really funny is that I was talking about Eric Mamajek not too long ago! A friend and I were talking about waffles for some reason and it reminded me of how, in seventh grade, Eric Mamajek spilled syrup on himself while having waffles for breakfast. I guess he didn't have time to change before the bus arrived so he came to school with a giant maple syrup stain and he totally smelled like the stuff too. Due to the incident, people started calling him "Maple Mamy" and the nickname stuck for the rest of his time in the Bethel Park school system. So now, even though he's an accomplished astronomer (who may or may not be responsible for Pluto's demotion), all I can think of is the maple syrup incident.
Post a Comment