July 15, 2006

Onward and Upward: The new me is Pete-free

The week of whining came to an official end Friday at 12:01 a.m. To celebrate, I began Friday with a 6 mile run at 6:00 a.m. with Emilie, who's on the Wild West Relay team. After the run, I met a friend (a guy friend) for breakfast. I couldn't tell if it was supposed to be a date or not. I had been building it up as a date but when I got there, it didn't seem to be. But maybe that's because I didn't want it to be.

It could have been because it was early, or because I realized my attraction to "the guy" had to do with the fact that he was the opposite of Pete in so many ways, but I just wasn't feeling it. Oh well. I at least walked away from the experience with this great idea: The breakfast date is the perfect guy-testing ground. If you can stay interested in someone that early in the morning, before you've had coffee, then chances are you're really interested in him for him and not just because you're trying to balance out your heartbreak.

After work, the celebration continued with a trip to the Roller Derby, followed by many exciting adventures in Denver involving, amongst other things, the roller derby teams, a pedi-cab, the Real World house, and an underground blues bar where we haggled over the price of admission. We got it down from $25 ($5 apiece for 5 people) to $15 for all of us with free drinks for the ladies. Not bad.

I'm working on uploading all of the pictures from the evening but in the meantime, I think this one does a good job of capturing the spirit of it all:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

just a thought...meeting up with you before your first coffee might deter a potential 2nd date...

Happy Worker said...

hmm... good point. but maybe that's not such a bad thing. I mean, if a guy can't handle me a little cranky in the morning, how's he going to be able to handle any real problems that might come up in the course of a relationship. it's important to me, especially after the relationship I just had, that I find someone who likes and accepts me for who I am, both good and bad. so if the guy can't handle the bad, better to find that one out early.