After talking with a number of you over the 4th of July, it became clear that although I am good at many things, I may not be good at picking boyfriends. To help me out, MikeyP and Mark offered to create a checklist that I can use to evaluate guys on the first date. They've been collaborating a bit and here's what they've got so far (in no particular order):
* MUST own a car and by car I don't mean cobalt or stratus. We're talkin vw, audi, saab. you catch my drift. (It's kind of funny how many guys I've dated who would have been eliminated by this one alone.)
* MUST be able to name 5 Belgianan beers.
* MUST be no more than 3 years older than you. (I think I'm going to change this one to 4 years. A guy who was born in 1970 should be considered okay. He would have been a senior (in college) when I was a freshman (in college). That's different than dating a guy who was a senior (in college) when I was a freshman (in high school).)
* MUST have sense of humor; that is, must be able to take a joke and successfully pull one off.
* MUST be athletic though not a jock. (In Boulder, this one pretty much goes without saying...)
* MUST like sushi; Californiaia roll doesn't count.
* MUST be stylish; eg, absolutely NO CROCS and NO nautica, tommy, or polo (It may be tough to find a croc-free guy out here but I'm going to give it a try.)
I also think that the guy:
* MUST pass the dog test. This means you have to be into my dog the first time you meet her. (Both Pete and Jamin failed this one.) Let's face it, if a guy can't be nice to Abby, who is the sweetest thing in the world, there's no way he's going to be able to be nice to me.
* MUST also give me a present on my birthday. (Again, both Pete and Jamin failed this one.)
* MUST NOT make me cry on my birthday. ([Sigh] Pete and Jamin again... are we noticing a pattern here?)
As for the actual date itself, I think there should be a system where the guy gets bonus points for doing certain things such as opening my car door (don't know why I like it so much but I do), planning a good date (good restaurant + after dinner plans, etc.), and witty repartee is also nice.
So there you have it. Keep in mind that the list is a work in progress so feel free to submit your comments and suggestions. And stay tuned to actually see the checklist in use!
July 25, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
One of the ones on my list when looking for women that is, is must have a J.O.B., and asking would you like fries with that does not count
Ali said the same thing. But honestly, at this point in my life, I would date a guy that didn't have a job. Ten years ago... well that was a different story.
But regardless, I like the fact that you put the #2 on the end of your name. But... with Pete #1 out of the picture, I think you can go back to just being "Pete." The gnome, however, will still be named Pete #3. : )
Post a Comment