July 31, 2006

The checklist does its thang!

I know this boy who's cute, and funny, and nice. This boy seems to like me but no matter how hard I try, I can't like him back. I've been feeling bad about this because, like I said above, he's cute, and he's funny, and he's nice. And he does so many things that OTHER people I've dated haven't done, like contact me often, make plans to see me again, tell me that he misses seeing me if it's been a while. But still, I can't like him and I feel like I should. Or should I? I wonder what the checklist would say...

Okay, here goes:

* MUST own a car and by car I don't mean cobalt or stratus. We're talkin vw, audi, saab. you catch my drift. Okay, he's got one. It's a funky-orange Jeep Wrangler. A very cool car by Boulder standards.

* MUST be no more than 3 years older than you. Haha! Three years younger.

* MUST have sense of humor; that is, must be able to take a joke and successfully pull one off. Check.

* MUST be athletic though not a jock. I'm going to say check. He's definitely athletic but I worry he's on the verge of being a jock. He wears a baseball cap too, too often, though MikeyP says he'll grow out of it...

* MUST like sushi; Californiaia roll doesn't count. Check.

* MUST be stylish; eg, absolutely NO CROCS and NO nautica, tommy, or polo. Hmm... I don't what to say on this one. He's not un-stylish but, well, he's a guy and he dressed like a guy. He wears polo shirts and maybe that should be a disqualification on its own...

* MUST be able to name 5 Belgian beers. Okay, so here we are. The Belgian Beer question. At first, I wasn't sure this one was important but I'm beginning to see it's the most important of them all. It hits upon some subtle quality that the others don't. I'm going to have to ask "boy" next time I see him (tomorrow) but I honestly don't think he could name five Belgian beers. So there you have it. He doesn't make the cut. He's out of the running. I don't have to like him and I don't have to feel bad about it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

there's a fundamental difference between "liking" after a guy, and having the guy friend. I think you should ask the question "Since he meets so many of the other criteria, am I interested in getting to know more about him?" If not, why not? Sometimes the people you learn the most from are the ones from whom you expected the least.

Happy Worker said...

I'm definitely interested in being friends with the boy. He's an interesting person and a good guy. But I have this problem where I want to be friends with the guy and the guy thinks we're dating (see pseudo dating threads from earlier this year). I think I'm a little gun shy because of those incidents and, quite frankly, I can't handle another pseudo-breakup right now.