July 18, 2006

Not a happy post...

So...… as we all know, the last six month, no, no, no, the last twelve months have been fairly crazy for me. There's no way around it's been a rough year. So to add to the list of craziness...

I had my laptop home with me over the weekend. I knew I was riding my bike to work on Monday so while I was out and about on Sunday, I stopped by IBM to drop the laptop off (it's heavy and I didn't want the extra weight while I was riding).

When I got to IBM, the parking lot in front of my building was all roped off with yellow police tape. There were a bunch of police vehicles and people standing around the perimeter. In the middle of the parking lot, there was one guy poking around in a navy blue mini-van.

Seemed a bit strange so I drove to the next parking lot over and walked into my building from the side. As I was walking in, I could see that there was a body lying next to the mini-van. I got an eerie feeling because things just didn't seem right. Seemed like it was a dead body. But if there really was a dead body in the IBM parking lot, wouldn't there be more commotion? Wouldn't there be more people? Wouldn't there be news cameras and flashing lights? Wouldn't I be restricted from seeing it?

I thought maybe it was a police training exercise but I also thought maybe it wasn't.

I dropped my laptop off and when I went back outside, the body was still there, not moving, still in the exact same place, in the exact same position. It was over 100 degrees on Sunday and police exercise or not, no one would be able to stay that still on asphalt in that kind of weather. Part of me knew it had to be a dead body, part of me was convinced it wasn't.

Sunday night, I went to a dinner party and I told my friend Dan the story. I told him I thought it was a dead body, had to be a dead body. "Nah," he said. "If it had been an actual dead body, there would have been more people, more commotion..." "Yeah," I said, wanting to believe him.

But when I got to work yesterday, here's what I found out: A guy in my department committed suicide in the parking lot on Sunday, not necessarily all that long before I got there. And that's what I saw.

No comments: