September 04, 2007

spoke too soon?

okay, so thank all of you who have expressed concern over my potentially problematic personal position this past weekend. the good news is that things with Boy are on the mend. after a few days of thinking about it all, Boy and I got together and had one of those really good conversations where you feel connected with and therefore closer to the person you're talking with. I've got to tell you, it restored my faith in humanity a bit which I needed, given what I've dealt with the past three years.

after two disastrous relationships and a few failed friendships with individuals who did things like used a spreadsheet to keep track of the status/value of their friendships and or got crazy, freaky, upset because they didn't get their way, I was beginning to think that people (or the people I tend to find myself around) just sort of suck. (not you guys, of course. you guys are all awesome!)

it's not so much that I thought people suck, more that a lot of people are stuck in their own drama and couldn't give two hoots (or even one) about anybody else. I think this is true about a certain percentage of the population and, unfortunately, a large portion of that certain percentage live in boulder (but that's a topic for another post). I was beginning to think that Boy was one of these people and it's so nice to know that he's not. it's also nice to have that core connection to someone, where you're able to see each other for everything you are, good, bad, and the stuff in between, even if that connection lasts for just for a moment, so long as you get a moment every now and then.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you worked things out! You need those conversations to restore your faith now and again.

Although I have to say that I get a lot of entertainment out of being "off the spreadsheet!" At least it's a good story, right?

Happy Worker said...

I love it too!

it's one of those things that's so crazy you couldn't even make it up. still, if wishes came true, I'd be able to see the spread sheet. I'm dying to know what kind of column headings it has and what colors are used to denote status.

and, do you think that the spreadsheet has a "bad friends" tab, for those of us who have been kicked off? it would sort of be like a double elimination tournament. so maybe we're all bad friends but which one of us is the best bad friend? remember, I was kicked off the spreadsheet once and then fought my way back on only to be kicked off again. that's gotta count for something, right?

maybe I should get an extra patch for my adult-scouts sash for that.

Anonymous said...

My friends and I knew this couple that kept a "love journal" to express their deep commitment to each other on a daily basis. In public they used groan-inducing nicknames for one another like Pumkin and Monkey, so we could only imagine the schmaltzy content of the journal. So of course we spent hours concocting fake journal entries to amuse ourselves.

But it comes to the point where you wonder if our imagined journals and -- in your case -- friend spreadsheets (and that is a first!) are better than the actual product. I suspect they real versions would be a letdown.

Glad to hear about the relationship upturn.

cara gillotti said...

I happen to live two towns over from the infamous friend spreadsheet. I should try to steal it. One wonders if a certain law student has his very own spreadsheet...
What if the spreadsheet has columns like "eats sugar" and "hates cats"?

Happy Worker said...

interestingly enough, I was kicked off the spreadsheet (the first time) not long after I told the spreadsheeter that I wouldn't be able to stay at her apartment to watch her cat while she was gone for two days.