for me to actually own my own place.
on Friday, I sort of had this epiphany, gut feeling, whatever, that I should look into buying a place. not a house. more like a condo or townhouse type thing. and probably not in Boulder. more like in Denver. in a quaint city neighborhood like the one I lived in in Pittsburgh. after a year and a half, I'm kinda done with Boulder. for a young, non-married person, childless person, this place only really makes sense for a few years. don't get me wrong, it's great and all, in some ways. but in some ways, it's just bizarre. so many of the other young, non-married, childless people here are searching for "something." in fact, I'd say that about 80% of the young, non-married, childless people here are searching for "something."
granted, we've all had times in our lives when we've been searching for something and I think that during those times, people are more, hmm... shall we say self-centered? so imagine living in a town that's full of self-centered people.then, on top of that, imagine living in a town where you have to be understanding and mindful of other people's self-centeredness. plus this place is just so small and homogeneous.
so, I've been doing some browsing on-line and getting excited about the prospect of finally getting to pick my own paint colors. today I got a recomendation for a real estate agent in Denver. the next step is working up the courage to call. this could be hard, given my committment issues and my difficulty making big, life changing decisions. however... I think it's time.
September 18, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Yes! Do it! I remember hearing that Denver had lots of cool little neighborhoods. Would you still work in Boulder? How long is the commute?
You know what I hate? I hate it when I ask someone how far away something is, and they answer me in distance rather than time. Of course it's absurd that I would expect otherwise...I also hate it when someone give me directions using north, south, east or west. What am I, a compass? A tree with moss or lichen growing on one side of it?
Anyway, I'm so excited for you! (and jealous...even though housing prices are falling, a friend just bought a *studio* apartment in an OK area with no public transportation for $800K. Maybe I'll build a yurt....)
ha! I would never estimate a commute in terms of mileage!
yes, I would still work in Boulder (at least for the next year or so) but I can work at home as much as I want. the commute would probably be about 45 min a day by bus and I'd try to take the bus as much as possible. I'm one of those tree-hugger people.
yeah... so I think 800K is a bit out of my range, which is why I'm thinking Denver and not Boulder. were I to stay in Boulder, I'd definitely be going the yurt route.
Post a Comment