I use catalogues as a form of relaxation, the way some people use television, or knitting, or alcohol, or whatever. Turning the pages, staring at the beautiful things for sale, and thinking about my life with them takes me out of my own for a bit and we all need a bit of that every now and then.
The move has been a bit traumatic for me because although the post office will forward virtually everything else, they won't forward your catalogues. (Apparently, the post master general doesn't share my love of catalogue window shopping or s/he'd realize how important these things are.) For two months now, I've been catalogue-less and it's starting to wear on me. A few days ago, I went online and requested some catalogues to try to get my life back to its normal state. I thought about the billions of catalogues I used to get (even for me there were too many) and I decided to only request catalogues from which I thought I might buy something. I requested only two cataloges (it's a start) and one of them was decidedly not Pottery Barn. I have been getting the Pottery Barn catalogue for years and I have never purchased anything from it. And because I know that I am not going to buy anything from the catalogue, I don't even look at it anymore. I decided I just don't need it in my life.
So you can imagine my shock when I opened my mailbox today and saw an envelope from Pottery Barn that said, "Welcome to the neighborhood!" on the outside. And guess what was inside? Yep, a catalogue. You just can't get away from them, can you?
And I'm beginning to worry... How do they know that I moved? It's a little creepy, don't you think? So I'm wondering... is there anyone out there that doesn't get the pottery barn catalogue or is just me that they're stalking?
March 27, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
As a Netflix subscriber, I received 2 free trial-membership cards to give to people who don't use Netflix. But everyone uses Netflix. So I think it's actually a sociology study out of U. Chicago to see if there is anyone who is not a Netflix subscriber.
I think the Pottery Barn thing is related.
I don't get Pottery Barn catalog, but if you want to read Princeton Alumni Weekly, I'm your girl. Actually, I do get the Ross-Simons catalog, which is possibly both more random and more useless than Pottery Barn. I've never ordered from it. I've never been in a Ross-Simons store, that I know of, yet, for some reason, they keep sending me their catalog.
Cara's right. Must be a sociology experiment.
I think it absolutely has to be a sociology experiment because check this out: I'm a Netflix subscriber too.
Oh my.
I've been trying to convince consultants I know in Pittsburgh to hold their next meeting in a Pottery Barn. Nice chairs, etc.
I know this is going to be soooo 2001, but I think that IKEA is a good place to have meetings. They have those little fake offices set up and if you get hungry, you can go to the little fake kitchen and eat some fake fruit. And if your tired, you can go to the little fake bedroom and take a little nap. Or maybe watch a little fake TV? Plus there's that oddly pleasant IKEA smell - a refreshing combination of particle board and cinnamon buns. You just don't get that at Pottery Barn. : )
I'm not a Netflix subscriber - and I get the Pottery Barn catalogue. I blame Williams Sonoma.
Post a Comment