Those of you who read my blog last summer probably remember me writing about all the crazy people I encountered in Boulder. What's been strange is that hasn't happened yet. I've been here for almost two months and I haven't had any strange encounters. (And everybody I've seen on a bike has been fully clothed.) I was starting to think that maybe all the eccentric Boulderites were hibernating for the winter. But I was wrong. They're actually living in my building.
Last Sunday, Jessica, my upstairs neighbor was having dinner for some of her friends and she invited me to join in. One of her friends is Jeremy, who also lives in the building. They gave me the run down on the other tennants and here's how it goes:
There's me (who works at IBM). Jessica who's a Ph.D. student at the University of Colorado doing some crazy geology stuff. Jeremy is a lawyer who works at the university and the girl who lives below me is an undergrad. There's a random old couple in the building. And here's where it gets interesting...
A 22 year-old professional snowboarder will be moving in soon. Across the hall from her live two stoner guys. One's named John and the other I've never. John and roommate used to own their own flax seed cracker company but it didn't go so well so now they work at a doggy day care in Boulder (the most populare doggy day care in Boulder, from what I'm told).
A hardcore Christian couple lives above the stoners. They just had a baby and do laundry constantly.
My next door neighbor is a tennis pro. He's about 35 now (and having a birthday party in a few weeks) but apparently when he was a student at the University of Colorado, he was a legendary partier and got the nickname "Disco Doug" because he used to wear leisure suits to all of his parties. His parties were supposedly so good that the local newspaper used to write articles about them and, from what I've heard, he has an homage (that's right, I said homage) to his party days in the hallway of his apartment.
And then there's Robyn... Robyn is the lesbian, music therapist that lives upstairs and owns two dogs named Jacques and Harry. She just got her masters from Naropa and is an incredibly nice person. And oh yeah, she used to be a man. Rumor has it that each year, she has a birthday party for... um... How can I put this delicately.... for the thing she has that he didn't.
So there you have it - Boulder in a building. My building. It's going to be a fun summer...
March 23, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment