May 24, 2007

semi-geeky post

reading this recent article in the New Yorker made me think of simplicity vs. functions in the context of my two iPods. I have a "regular," 20G iPod and I also have a shuffle. although the shuffle has less functionality than the regular, I think I like it more. definitely, I use it more.

sure, the shuffle only holds about 250 songs but really, I'm usually obsessed with no more than 100 songs at a given time so why do I need to have all of my music available all the time? there are, however, times when the regular iPod is better: extended traveling, a boring day at work. and if my computer ever crashes, I'll have a backup of all my music. however when I'm driving or running or riding my bike or just going, the simplicity of the shuffle far outweighs the functionality of the regular. (plus the shuffle is green and the regular is white and that's better too!)

it's funny though. we get so caught up in being able to have the most options that we forget to think about the reality of how the object will be used and whether or not it will serve us well. we're so concerned with getting the most that we don't pay attention to the quality of what we're getting (think "super size" and mcdonalds). yes, it's true - we may get a lot. but if what we're getting isn't good for us, then do we really want it?

anyway, somebody give me some work to do soon so I'll stop being so darn philosophical!!!!

No comments: