I recently (yesterday) joined the local freecycle group and I can't stop thinking of things I could maybe give away. I have so much stuff that I just don't need but it's too good to throw away. So I keep it, thinking I'll eventually get around to selling it on Craigs List or maybe I'll have a yard sale but then I never do. I had one yard sale once and while I made a few hundred dollars, it wasn't the most positive experience. There's something strange about your life being on display for strangers to pick through and judge. And there's also the dilemma of what to call the sale when you don't really have a yard or a garage. For someone trained in the art of crafting words, that can be a problem.
But anyway, I think freecycle is a good idea because it promotes reuse/recycling instead of just throwing things away. Given the over-consumptive nature of our society, it's a good thing.
And speaking of over-consumption (as I unnecessarily snack on the Icelandic chocolate bar my friend J. gave me after her recent trip...)the weather's good here and so I've started riding my bike to work again. I rode in three times last week which saved me approximately 60 miles of driving, which saved approximately two gallons of gas. In addition to the earth friendly stuff, the commuting enabled me to not feel bad about snacking on the Icelandic chocolate bar so it's good all around (except when that big bug flew right into the side of my head. That kind of hurt.).
Okay, enough with the hippie stuff. I'm off to Starbucks!
May 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Ugh, a cross between a hippie and a yuppie :)
Wow - way to vent that East coast aggression. :P
Post a Comment