upon returning from my trip, I realized I had no food so yesterday, I bought some english muffins from the crappy little market down the street from me. I had one yesterday and it tasted a little funky, kind of like dirt. I thought maybe it was just me. but this morning, when I opened up the package I noticed copious amounts of mold. gross.
so the dilemma is do I take the muffins back or just through them out? I debated over this for a few minutes but then decided to just through them out and then never buy muffins (or bread products) from the crappy little market again.
anyway, I'm back from my trip and I had a great time. we put close to 2000 miles on our red, rented ford focus in about five days. here, basically, is what we did:
Tuesday night: loaded up the "car" after "work" and drove south toward the "land of enchantment" (a.k.a. New Mexico). didn't make it. spent the night in a days inn somewhere south of pueblo. oh, also got pulled over in some dinky little town but the lady cop said she just wanted to make sure we were okay and let us go without even checking id's.
Wednesday: said good bye to Colorado and hello to New Mexico. spent some time in Taos and I have to say that I'm not sure I understand what all the hype is about. it was incredibly touristy and consumer driven. though I did have the best carrot cake I've ever had at this artsy little coffee shop where boy kept bumping into the table, eventually spilling about half of my americano. tried to make it to Flagstaff by Wednesday night but got stuck in a random snow storm thing that caused an accident that caused the highway to be shut down for an hour and a half so we ended up staying in Winslow, AZ instead. no biggie.
Thursday: finally made it to the grand canyon. it was snowing and boy hadn't brought any cold weather clothes, despite my caution of "in the 40's and snowing on Thursday..." our conversation over lunch went something like this:
boy: I can't believe it's snowing...
me (dressed in winter coat with hat and gloves): um, yeah well I looked at the forecast before we left and saw that it was going to snow so I told you that we'd need to pack warmer clothes.
boy: you did?
me (with cocky, I-told-you-so look on my face): yeah, I did.
boy: well to be honest, I'm only listening to you about 50% of the time you're talking.
me: hmm... that's probably for the best.
the weather being what it was, we hung out at the lodge, drank beer, and tried to get reservations for the sky walk but couldn't probably because of the mass hysteria that thing is causing. the sky walk was also about four hours away from so it didn't happen this trip.
Friday: better weather! hiked three miles down into the canyon and, after being scared by all of the "it takes a billion hours to get back up from here" signs we decided to turn around. found out that living in boulder, you often forget how in shape you are compared to normal folk but quickly realized this fact as we smoked people left and right coming up the trail. boy was pretty much running which I think was partly to blame on the fact I told him about the theory that everyone you pass becomes your slave in hell. made it out of the canyon in about an hour (faster than we had gone down). picked up a butt load of slaves that day and were claimed by no one.
Friday night: headed to Moab. drove through Monument Valley at sunset to get there (probably the coolest part of the trip). got a room at a motel 6, which is boy's favorite cheap motel chain. however, being in Moab, it was not so cheap. and I was not so impressed.
Saturday: ate an incredibly yummy breakfast and then went to Arches NP.hiked around. again, felt physically superior to the "others" but were passed by two incredibly in-shape, younger looking guys. drat. hung out in Moab. drank beer. ate ice cream. decided another night at motel 6 wasn't needed so headed back to boulder. got back late and happily drifted to sleep in familiar surroundings.
I took tons and tons of pictures on the trip which I will eventually upload to flickr. however, it won't be today because I'm going to opening day at Coors field where I will be doing my best not to drink any Coors.
April 02, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
i am so jealous! moab is one of my favorite places. well actually southern utah, not moab per se. i love the "other" boulder too, it's so awesome. i need a vacation!!
lucky for you I'm traveling for both of us this month! this weekend I'm going to visit my cousin Jen and her husband Noble in Monterey, which should be incredibly fun too. and then, at the end of the month, boy wants me to go to Florida with him to hang out with his family. by May, I think I'll be the opposite of you - I'm going to need an un-vacation.
I had never been to Utah before(or the the southwest, really) and I have to say that I loved it! it was absolutely amazing stuff. seriously very cool. I'm already making plans to go back to Utah some time this fall (if I still have vacation left by that point...).
when you're in monterey, be sure to go to big sur. i lived there for a year and a half and it is just as amazing as utah. not as mars-like, but still exceptionally cool. it's 26 miles south of carmel/monterey. if you haven't been before, you must go! :)
technically, I've been to big sur. my family did a whole northern california trip when I was about 15. however, the day we went to big sur I had a migrane so I was asleep in the backseet the entire time. let's hope that doesn't happen this time. :)
Post a Comment