the longer I live in Boulder, the more I come to realize that there is a very specific type of person that belongs in Boulder and can live her long term. I share some of the same qualities as this person but not all of them. and therefore, I beginning to realize I can't be here in the long term.
case in point: it's snowing AGAIN. it's the third time this month. it's only October. and if I weren't going to Hawaii tomorrow (tomorrow!), I'd be freaking out.
people are taking this weather stuff all in stride. I am not. here's a typical conversation to illustrate what I'm talking about:
me: um, it's snowing AGAIN today...
Boulderite: I know. isn't it great!
me: um, well... um, but it's October. and it's snowing AGAIN.
Boulderite: well, that's nothing. a lot of times it snows in September. and I've even seen it snow in July...
me: um, yeah, well...
Boulderite: don't worry, the sun will be out tomorrow and it will all melt.
me: yeah, but... well... I think I'm used to a little more stability you know, in my weather... in my life... things are just so... drastic and extreme around here...
Boulderite (with stupid grin and twinkley eyes): well, welcome to Colorado!
me: yeah, um... thanks...
yes, yes. isn't everything wonderful and great? isn't every day just a gift of which we can make the best? meet new people? try crazy new sports? climb a mountain or two? no wonder I haven't bothered to change my driver's license yet.
October 26, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I was wondering if you were covered up in snow yet. I have the opposite situation here in TN. A weather report calling for the possibility of half an inch of snow sends the state into a blind panic. They cancel all the schools before even the first flake falls and everyone stays home from work. It's crazy.
Post a Comment