August 23, 2007

run away!

it's the end of august and the students are back in town. and that means the town is crazy like an i-hop on Sunday after church gets out.

I needed to go to target today after work to pick up a prescription for Abby. (yes, that's right. my dog shops at target.) however, the parking lot was total chaos, complete with packs of roving frat type guys and gangs of girls with shorts too short and hair too long. I don't know what it is with these types of people but they seem to be unable to both walk and pay attention to the world around them at the same time.

after struggling through the parking lot for five painful minutes, seeing nary an empty spot, I decided to ditch the mission. the craziness of the parking lot was reflected in the traffic around town too but I eventually made it back to the safety of my apartment, slightly north of, and therefore isolated from, the campus/town environment. thank god.

my new plan is to go back to target early on saturday morning, before the students are up and out. but actually, it doesn't have to be that early. I remember when I was an undergrad, I'd get miffed if people were being loud in the dorm before 11:00 on a weekend. seems like sleeping that late would be physically impossible for me now. wow - I think I've maybe grown up...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should see it around here - all the Pitt/RMU/CMU students are back - the traffic into Robinson last weekend was backed up all the way out to the parkway.

Unknown said...

i think this can all be summed up with one word: "marijuana" :)

Happy Worker said...

maybe we could just say "narcotics" in general. :)

I really shouldn't complain. traffic is never as bad here as it is in Pittsburgh or other cities. actually, we don't really have traffic here.

however, because we are a small town with a very big college, certain resources (specifically target) take a beating the first few weeks the students are back. seriously, it looks like the place has been looted!