okay, so Boy's parents are in town this weekend and I've been tagging along to a lot of their events. they are nice people. lovely people, in fact. however, it's been a bit tough for me and I know that Boy would never understand why. for various reasons, I've had a hard time feeling like I'm even part of my own family so spending so much time with someone else's family feels strange to me. on top of that, Boy's brother, David, also lives in Boulder so there's four of them and one of me and I can't help but feel like the fifth wheel, especially when I'm the one sitting at the special chair that's been added to the end of the four person table.
through the personal narrative called my life, I've come to discover that I'm a bit of a loner (probably more than a bit). while I enjoy social interactions and what have you, I'm just very used to having time to myself and it feels really, really uncomfortable when I don't get it. sometimes it makes me tired. and sometimes I just need some down time. this weekend, I haven't gotten it. but Boy never needs downtime. and Boy doesn't like to be alone. he's a triplet (have I mentioned this before?) and his family is actually normal and happy and not at all disfunctional (which, personally, I consider abnormal) so he just doesn't get why I might be uncomfortable or unhappy (ever). and I know he never will.
so what do you do with a situation like this? sometimes I think it's nearly impossible (through no fault of his own) for him to truly understand the heart of who I am, what I've been through, what I'm feeling, etc. sometimes I think that's bad. and then other times, I think it's good that he's so different and has such a different perspective. it's confusing. it's tough. and it's what I've been thinking about the most lately. sigh...
August 26, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
No, I totally understand about the "alone time" thing and it's not abnormal. Whenever we have guests - my family, his family, friends - I need at least an hour at some point during the visit to just be by myself, read, zone out, etc. It becomes more pronounced the more stressful the visit (even if the people are really great). Just explain it to Boy and even if he can't understand it on a personal level, he'll understand it is something you need in the future. Hope this helps! love, Jen
LeeAnn! I absolutely know what you mean. I feel the same way. Call to discuss.
hmm... see, here's the thing: I've explained the down-time thing to Boy. he's listened, nodded his head, and said that he understands.
however, when the time actually comes when I need the down time, he just doesn't get it at all. case in point: a few weeks ago one of his best friends from high school was in town for only a day and we only found out that he was going to be here the day before.
I spent the whole day with Boy, his best friend, and some other friend of theirs from Denver. Boy and I already had plans for dinner with some friends (which we had made weeks before). during the afternoon's activities, I specifically told Boy I would need at lest 30 min between hanging out with Boy's friends and going to dinner to "get it together." Boy said okay. but, as we were all driving back to my apartment after seven straight hours together, with only an hour to go before our dinner plans, Boy said "hey! why don't we see if the packer's game is on?!" so Boy and his friends took over my living room, leaving me with no down time.
needless to say, I was peeved. I tried to explain my perspective to Thomas but he couldn't understand "why anybody would not want to watch the packer's game." it's like beating my head against a wall. (however, please note that Boy and friends are from Wisconsin so that really may have something to do with it.)
cara! are you back from Africa! you and I must chat about many things. I don't actually think we've talked this year. I'll give you a buzz this weekend!!!!
Post a Comment