it's semi-gray and cloudy right now and because I've grown so accustomed to seeing the sun, the weather makes me want to sleep. however, the sun is breaking through the clouds and soon it will be another beautiful day in boulder. but it's interesting how used to the sun I've gotten and it makes me wonder if I'd ever be able to live in a cloudy city like Pittsburgh again.
anyway, yesterday was my officemate's last day. she quit to go be "director of usability" at some small web-design firm. the firm only has about ten people working for it so not only will she be the director of usability, she'll pretty much be the usability department. it sort of reminds me of a girl I know who does her own freelance thing and has her own "company." she's the only employee but that doesn't stop her from billing herself as "lead visionary." puh-leez.
this move is good for my officemate because she's excited about the job. this move is good for me because, at times, my officemate could be a little mean and dysfunctional. there are no hard feelings though - she honestly couldn't help it (the being mean thing). but given the high number of dysfunctional people that were in my life in 2006, I'm glad to be getting them outta there in 2007.
the move is also good for me because I'm planning to turn my ex-officemate's desk into a coffee/pastry bar starting next week. my friend b. is bringing in a coffee maker that he doesn't use. I'll supply the first lb. of coffee, the sugar, and the milk products and then, hopefully, the venture will turn into a self-sustaining enterprise.
I'm thinking it will work like this: $.50 a day for unlimited coffee or $2.00 a week. that's more than enough to buy supplies for the cafe. then, when we start to see a small profit, I'll turn that money into various baked goods. the goal is to eventually get enough money to buy an espresso maker and a small fridge so I can start doing froofy beverages and perhaps light lunches.
yep, that's right - these are now my career goals.
how long do you think I can stay in business before I'm shutdown by the health department or threaten by the cafeteria workers because I'm stealing all of their business?
March 08, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment