It’s been over two months since I broke up with P. and as much as it kills me, I’m still upset about it every day. I’m only upset for a short time each day but still, it’s every day. I know I shouldn’t be but I am and I also know the more I try to fight it, the worse I’m going to feel. “What we resist, persists” is how the saying goes so this is how it must go.
The other day I stopped into Jose(our intern)'s office to share some mate (which, by the way, was disgusting). He asked me how I’m doing. I told him I’m doing better but that I’m still upset most days and he said, “You know in my country (Puerto Rico), we have a saying ‘sometimes a nail takes another nail.’” I think something may have gotten lost in the translation but Jose explained it to me like this: when you take out an old nail, you need to replace it with a new one. In other words, sometimes, in order to get over a relationship, you need to have another relationship.
Ah yes, the rebound.
Others have suggested this would be good for me, too. But I’m so aware of my rebound status that I’d feel bad inflicting myself on some poor, unsuspecting guy. Plus, I’m a big believer in karma. AND I’ve been thinking a lot about the difference between good and evil in interpersonal interactions. (I want to use another word that begins with “in” but I can’t think of one right now.) I think that evil is when you do or say something that may hurt the other person (or that you know will hurt the other person) and then you do or say that thing anyway. I don’t want to be evil.
But let’s see… what if I create a personal ad that states, directly, that I’m interested in a rebound relationship with no long term commitment wanted? Then I wouldn't be evil. And we could have fun by taking bets on how many date offers I receive. I’m guessing there would be too many for the match.com server to handle.
September 07, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Ah...intercourse, the missing "in" representing the ultimate good and evil in personal relationships. The rebound is always tough. I have no idea how you weigh the risk or chance that you might not be ready with someone you might really like or if it's best to waste time (but risk settling and get stuck) with someone who you think will just be fun.
The only thing I have learned is that nothing is ever casual no matter how much folks know up front...someone always wants more. And it's not always the one that you expect too.
So at the end of Garden State---PLOT SPOILER AHEAD, the main charachter tries to bail on the relationship because he isn't ready or his "perfect" self yet, but he realizes it's better to become who you are with the person you want to be with or better for. IDK, but it's something that's been on my mind for a while. Yet that leads back to how do find/trust someone improving? There's a lot of talk in this world. Oy vey! But I do know "seeking rebound" would so hose the match.com server!!!!
Post a Comment