September 22, 2006

Good Buju

The other night, I went to see Buju Banton with Thomas and his random, hipster, funky-hat wearing friend Neil. There were protesters outside the theater because Buju apparently has a song with anti-gay lyrics (though how anybody could have possibly understood any of the lyrics during the show was beyond me). He wrote the song in 1993 and while the song is most definitely homophobic, is it right to protest someone for a mistake he made over ten years ago, when he was 19? I don't know. Part of me says no but part of me was definitely uncomfortable with it all. Good thing the tickets were free.

Regardless of the political angst, the show was good but I was out until 1:00 on a school night and let's face it, I'm not as young as I used to be. Also (and I think the alcohol may have had something to do with this), we stopped in a convenience store on the way home and, for some reason, I got all nostalgic about Tidal Wave gum and insisted on buying some Bubblicisous with juicy stuff in the middle. And you know what? It was gross. Totally gross. But I wonder what I would have thought about the gum thirteen years ago?

So what I'm saying here is the gum made me think that maybe we shouldn't be held accountable for the mistakes we make when we're young and naive. Cause what was a good idea last decade may not be so good today and so long as you realize that and learn and grow, it's all good (well, it's all good except for the gum. The gum is still totally gross).

No comments: