I've often thought it's not what happens to you in life that matters, it's how you crop the image/frame the shot that makes the difference. The other day, I had one of those moments in the movie of my life into which one could symbolically read meaning by cropping the story to focus in on these specific details. Here's what happened:
I bought a packet of seeds a few weeks ago to plant in this ugly metal planter that's on my balcony. I've never grown anything from scratch before but my mom told me these were good plants to start out with (I think they're called nasturtium). I threw a few seeds in the dirt and checked on them each day to see if they were sprouting. Days, then weeks went by and nothing ever grew. I was convinced the seeds were dead (or had never been alive). I gave up. Stopped watering. Stopped checking.
But the other day, I was gazing out my window while talking on the phone and I noticed a little green sprout poking through the dirt. I rushed outside to have a look and sure enough, things are growing. Two things, to be exact. It was that moment in the movie, the turning point, when you realize that even though things looked bleak, it's all going to be okay.
This, however, could change if the plants get eaten by something or perish in a late season snow storm. But for now, it's looking good.
Totally unrelated, the Thursday night cruiser ride (about 100+ people in crazy costumes, on crazy bikes, making tons of noise) is crusing past my apartment right now and Abby is scared to death. I have a story about how I went on the cruiser ride a few weeks ago, got a little tipsy and ended up "liberating" a medium-sized potted plant from a bar but that's a story for another time.
May 18, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment