April 15, 2006

Like a gangsta...

It's approximately 9:30 am on Saturday, April 15 and I just finished my taxes. It's uncharacteristic of me to wait this long. Generally, I file my taxes with Ned Flanders-like promptness and have my refund in hand well before most others have even opened their W2's. I would always react with smug shock and horror when, at the end of March friends would say they still needed to do their taxes. "You still need to do your taxes? I already have my refund!" I'd say and laugh condescendingly. But this year, it was me they were laughing at.

I'm not sure why I waited so long. But I did. And I'm going to tell you, I might do it again. There's a certain sense of excitement that goes along with cutting it so close to the deadline. Let's face it, at this point in my life filing my taxes late is the closest I'm going to come to getting into trouble with "the man" and it was slightly thrilling to me, wondering if I would be able to slip in under the deadline, thinking about the disappointment on Uncle Sam's face when I did. No penalty from me this year, haha!

In all fairness, I'm not completely last minute. It's still incredibly early in the day so there's plenty of time to get my envelopes post-marked. (My sister has, on more than one occasion, been part of the midnight line at the post-office. You know, the one they always show on the news.) And because April 15 is on a Saturday this year, taxes aren't technically due until Monday. But for me, this is something and I'm going to spend the rest of the day feeling like a gangsta. I wonder what I'd look like with a gold tooth...

No comments: