April 16, 2008

ups and downs

yesterday (and the day before that, and the day before that) was beautiful - sunny, 80 degree weather, and not a cloud in the sky. right now, it's snowing.

this morning, walking from my car to work, I put my hand in my coat pocket and pulled out nine dollars. I was so excited that I said, out loud, to the no one around, "there's money in here!"

then this afternoon, we had a 1.75 hr "all hands meeting" that was totally boring but that I wasn't able to skp because the v.p. of my department flagged me down 20 min. before the meeting and asked me to set up chairs.

so like any good, recovering catholic, I sat in the back row and tried not to fidget too much. I also didn't pay attention too much either. instead, I spent most of the entire time contemmplating my life.

I don't necessarily recommend doing this. what good can come from 1.75 hrs of self-examination when one is trapped in an uncomfortable seat in an uncomfortable room? certainly not much. but I suppose that's the ebb and flow of life, the natural cycle of things, the battle for equilibrium...

so what am I really saying? I guess I'm saying that I might be a bit bummed right now but I'm still happy about the nine dollars.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Assuming you can't follow the words of your trusty CEO (if you believe it, you will see it), or amuse yourself with wwrd? (what would rocky do, where rocky can either be the cinematic pugilist or the local runner/optimist), or lift yourself up on the misfortunes ot those shorter and slower than yourself, you have only one option:

Think bacon. Smell the bacon. Hear the bacon.