so I'm watching TV and a commercial for prostate shrinking drugs comes on. the commercial's topic isn't important but it's one of those commercials that are supposed to be an intimate conversation between the protagonist and the audience. (really, would you want to have an un-intimate conversation about prostate shrinking drugs?)
in the middle of the commercial, the camera switches from a straight-on perspective to a a side perspective. the protagonist keeps talking to the straight-on camera which means the audience is now looking at him from the side as he talks to someone else. but hey... you were just talking to me! why am I not me anymore? why am I now some second, unengaged observer? this has been a trend in commercials for a few years now and it's creeped me out the entire time. it's totally contrived and unnatural but they try to play it off like it is natural in some way and you can tell they think they're being cool with it all. it bugs me.
I've noticed this mostly in financial and prostate/e.d. drug related commercials, which, you could argue, are targeted at men. so now I'm thinking maybe if I were a guy, I wouldn't care? or even notice? maybe it's one of those things that's on the x chromosome...
February 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Oh, come on, LeeAnn. I think you're being too sensitive here. Haven't you noticed that this is exactly how guys talk to you in real life? First they look you in the eyes, then half-way through the sentence, they start talking to your breasts. But, there are no breasts in those commercials, so he has to look off to the side.
OBVIOUSLY!
wow, I never realized it but you're totally right.
that explains why these commercials bug me so much and why I get that "dude, look me in the eye!" feeling every time they come on.
very wise, Marisa. very wise.
Post a Comment