October 29, 2007

gone baby, gone

I officially sold my Jetta today. he was on the market for less than a week. only a few days, really. I posted him on the Denver Craig's List Saturday morning and I had an offer by Sunday night.

I definitely got a little sentimental about the whole thing. letting kyle go was like letting go of eight very meaningful years of my life, years through which I changed profoundly and became me. I wasn't ready to say goodbye to that part of my life and so I lingered over the paper work, explained the car keys, demonstrated the glove compartment. the buyers were unphased and seemed like they wanted to hurry things along. the whole transaction only took about ten minutes, which wasn't nearly long enough.

I wanted to give kyle a hug before they pulled away with him but I thought that might be interpreted badly so I just patted him and said goodbye.

the buyers could have cared less about my sentimentality. they were eager to get my car and start their fun and I have to tell you, I was a little insulted by it all. you know the worst part about it? they drove kyle away like they owned him or something.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can totally understand your loss. Whether we end the relationship on our own initiative or they are taken from us prematurely, it is always hard to move on. I'm just glad I got to meet Kyle a few times... love, Jen

cara gillotti said...

Be comforted: maybe the new owners will sell him to your garden gnome.

Anonymous said...

You've done your best. You raised him well. Now all you can do is send him off into the world and hope he learned what you taught him. He's a good kid, LeeAnn. He'll be fine off at college...

Happy Worker said...

hmm... I feel as if some of you may be mocking my sadness.

Anonymous said...

As one who recently sent his car off (and my first car at that!) I understand completely. 10 years is a long time to be with a car. Can a new car completely change your life? Is that a bad thing? Sometimes... I just think it's time to move on....