January 23, 2007

This place is an anomaly in a lot of ways so it's always nice to know that some things are the same wherever you go. For example, after living in Colorado for almost a year, I finally went and got my new CO drivers license today. Like other towns/cities, places like the bus station and the DMV in Boulder are just as full of seedy looking characters as elsewhere.

But, given the fact that Boulder itself does not have lots of seedy looking characters, I'm wondering if there's something about bus stations/DMV offices that attracts the seedy or is there something about these places that makes the people in them appear seedy?

So maybe, even though I don't think I look all that seedy in everyday life, I looked seedy today at the DMV?

This could explain why drivers license pictures always look so bad.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That is funny! I work for the WA DMV (it's actually called DOL here, department of licensing) and although people in the offices may be seedy, we have a way cool new website. (www.dol.wa.gov). Now that isn't seedy!

Happy Worker said...

oh my, that's not seedy at all! in fact, it's quite the opposite of seedy. very well organized from an information hierarchy perspective. clear and concise language. good navigation. A+!

Unknown said...

We did a user-centered redesign, lots of usability testing. Do you work in that area?

Happy Worker said...

I do kinda work in that area. But mostly, I'm familiar with these things because my master's (which is in writing) had an unbelievable amount of user-testing built in. However, I got my master's at Carnegie Mellon, which is where the "think aloud protocol" was invented so that may have had something to do with it... Anyway, I'll definitely email you so we can catch up!