I used to have this job monitoring "mission critical" systems. basically, I sat around and waited for something to break. when there was breakage, I'd have to call someone and ask them to fix it. this was an "important" job so the position was staffed 24/7/365. we took turns working the midnight shift, 11 pm to 7 am. when I worked the midnight shift, I would often need to call people in the middle of the night and tell them they had to come in to work.
not surprisingly, nine out of ten people are cranky when you wake them up at 3:00 in the morning so to help ease tensions, I developed a "phone voice." the voice was calm and soothing and slightly deep and throaty. I didn't develop this voice consciously, more out of necessity. but now that I'm aware the voice exists, I've come to notice that others, whether they are aware of it or not, have special voices that they use in specific situations.
for example, they guy in the office across the hall from me definitely talks louder when he's actually working. luckily, he doesn't work that often but right now, he must be working with the guy who's tone and cadence can best be described as a grumpy/crotchety George W. my door is shut and it still sounds like the two are right over my shoulder talking about the "internets." good god.
January 12, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment