February 17, 2006

Getting away from it all.

I know it seems strange to be going on vacation already, when I've only been out here for about three weeks. But let's face it, life's been rough on me lately. So to counteract all the bad stuff and to try to get in the flow of the outgoing, adventurous spirit of Boulder, I’ll be spending the weekend skiing in Breckenridge with twenty people I don’t know.

I was invited to join in on the annual festivities known as Norm-Fest. Norm-Fest is hosted by a guy named Norm (but I think his real name is Brian) and each year, he rents a house for the weekend and invites tons of friends to ski with him. This year they invited me too. I met these guys my first weekend in town at a surprise birthday party for someone I didn’t know. The party started out normal but soon erupted into what can best be described as “Dance Party U.S.A.” I think the same will hold for Norm-Fest. I’ve been told to bring “dancing clothes” and there’s also talk of having a big piece of cardboard so people can show off their break-dancing moves. Since I don't have "dancing clothes" in Colorado yet (or maybe I don't even own "dancing clothes") I bought some last night. I don't want to give too much of my outfit away but let's just say it involves some fuchsia velvet and a pair of striped knee socks.

Anyway, I guess the famously beautiful spring ski season hasn’t started yet because it’s supposed to be cloudy and about 20 degrees in the mountains this weekend. I suppose the good stuff doesn’t get here until March so until then, I’ll be freezing my butt off. But at least my butt won't be sitting around in that crazy house.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fuschia velvet and knee socks? Please tell me someone took a picture.