February 10, 2006

HomeSick

I think it’s an interesting coincidence that at the moment, I’m both homesick and home sick. (Though it's hard not to get homesick when you're home sick in a place that doesn't really have furniture or any of your things.) Technically, I’m not home at the moment but I’m definitely sick. I’m hanging out at Vic’s Espresso and News, my favorite coffee shop in Boulder, because without TV/radio/internet access in my “home,” I was starting to go a little crazy.

I’m on day number 2.5 of being home from work (I left early on Wednesday) and so I haven’t really had human contact for a few days. I went out briefly yesterday afternoon but since I was visibly oozing sickness from every pore in my body, people were doing there best to stay away from me.

I’m still probably oozing sickness today but it’s not quite as visible so I didn’t feel to bad about being out in public. (Plus I was going crazy!) I rationalized my being out by saying this is a young, healthy town and the people here will be able to handle whatever I might give them, right?

Well, as luck would have it, the only four senior citizens in Boulder have sat themselves down at a table right next to me. Given my luck as of late, I can’t help but think one of these woman is going to catch whatever it is that I have and then die. And that’s bad juju.

But really, what’s wrong with my karma these days? I had a bad run of luck at the end of December (I'm sure most of you recall the bus rear-ending, the broken furnace, the strep throat, and the sprained ankle) but I though I left that all behind with the new year. Guess not. My friend Mike insists that I need some sort of karmic cleansing and you’d think that if you could get one of those anywhere, you’d be able to get one in Boulder. I’m honestly considering acupuncture to realign my chi. But I dunno... Maybe I should just start with a smoothie and then go from there…

No comments: