well, really it was more like signed, scanned, emailed. it's official. I start my new gig two weeks from Tuesday, less than twelve hours after my flight from Pittsburgh lands. I have to quit tomorrow. it seems like quitting should be easy, given the horrible experiences I've had with the people I work with. however, I've had a lot of really good experiences with people the people I don't work with and I'm going to miss them.
when I first moved out here, I really had no one and there's a small group of incredible people who became my support network. true, I don't see them at work all that often and I will continue to see them once I'm gone. still, it was nice to know they were only a few offices away.
anyway, I haven't quit a job in a while and I'm wondering the best way to handle this. we have a weekly team meeting Monday's at 10:30. should I just slip it in as part of what I'm working on? "I'm working on X, Y, and Z and oh, by the way, you people suck and I quit."?
November 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Yay!!! Congratulations! (It's about time...)
Your plan is brilliant and satisfying...but probably not a good idea. :)
I think the "what to do when you quit" thing is different for each office. At Covance, they left it up to me to tell people I was leaving. At my current job, you tell your supervisor, maybe the director, and then one of the admins sends out a mass email. (But if you're going out on disability/maternity, you announce it at a group meeting.)
I've always found quitting stressful, but after you quit, working there is so much nicer. :)
Congrats! My guess is that saying, "Screw you guys, I'm going home" at a group meeting is not the best way to quit. Perhaps, just tell your boss and let him deal with it. Although, what do I know. I just started working for the first time 3 months ago :)
Is it safe for you to tell us what the new place is yet? Or was I supposed to infer from previous blog posts. Remember, I can be slow at times...
so what you guys are saying is that I shouldn't use the f-word?
and (big sigh) yes Neil, you were supposed to figure it out from the context clues. I'll email you and give you the scoop but, to set the stage, I think your brother works there...
Noble and I are very happy for you with your new job. Wish we were going to be in Pittsburgh with you to celebrate! Jen
Congrats kid. Hopefully by now (or soon) the quitting will be over and you'll be home free!
you suck and i quit is good, but i liked "i regret to inform you that i shall no longer be retaining your servicesas my employer" better. BUT!!! as a compromise, how about "i was wondering if i could get back the two bucks i donated towards yr $mas gift?"
even better - it's my boss's birthday today.
so I basically said "happy birthday! by the way, do you have a few minutes because I need to talk to you about something..."
so there. all said and done. we're not announcing it to the public until a team meeting on Thursday though so until then, I have to pretend like I still care.
in the meantime, my boss would like to have an exit interview with me to determine why it is I've had such a tough time with the team. awesome - a therapy session for which I get paid.
I've already used some very good lines ("on a scale of 1 to 10, this whole experience has been about a 3 and I think you get to two just for making it out with all of your appendages attached...") so I need to think of some more before the meeting. suggestions?
That's awesome that you got to quit on your boss's b-day. I got to quit my hellish job in Nashville on Valentine's Day. I wanted to do it with a Valentine or poem, but I didn't have the nerve. My parents sent me a big bouquet of flowers that day too just out of meanness. My boss's sister owned a flower shop and it was "understood" that you should order from her shop. My parents ordered from the competition.
Post a Comment