January 04, 2007

as we all know, there's not much going on for me on the work front and there's nothing new with that so I'm spending some time reading the NY Times and I guess there's nothing new with that either.

anyway, I came across this article about "experiential advertising" which I was interested in, probably because of the near miss with the interview with cp+b a few weeks ago and anyway, this post is all sort of stream-of-consciousness and whatever but it [the article] got me thinking about over-saturation/over-use and when, exactly, it is that a thing/idea/concept begins to lose its novelty and effectiveness.

so many brands now a days seem to have what the article calls "brand ambassadors" and while these fellas were (and still are) interesting and therefore effective, once other brands jump on the band wagon, the bandwagon will become full of these brand mascot type people and then will you even really notice them any more? so I guess my question is (and I'm not really expecting you to answer or even think about it) at this point, should a company try to develop a brand ambassador or should the company instead invest its efforts into finding a new, novel way to advertise their brand?

of course, as with everything in life, advertising is probably about the ebb and the flow. so, as with everything in life, how do you know when you're shifting from ebb to flow or from flow to ebb? how do you tell if its time to move on or if its time to stay?

or do you even concern yourself with these things? maybe if you're living in the moment, you can sense the ebb and flow on some primordial level. so maybe it's over thinking that's the problem. I think I'm over thinking right now and I think I wouldn't be if I actually had some work to do... [sigh].

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

overthinking. anything can work. retro is old. retro is new. the verizon guy works. for now. there are probably hundreds or thousands of others consigned to the universal scrapheap of forgotten ideas. ultimately, it depends on your execution not your originality, and how said execution influences buzz and sales.

have you considered hiring yourself as your brand spokesperson?

Happy Worker said...

that's such an interesting mental image - the universal scrapheap of brand spokespeople.

but to answer your question, I have, in fact, considered hiring me. however, I'm not sure if we'd work well together. our personalities are just too similar.

Anonymous said...

it's worth a shot as long as you promise not to be to hard on yourself if or when you decide to (a) fire yourself as spokesperson or (b) quit working for yourself as spokesperson. another option would be to make sure that you as a spokesperson and you as the person being spoke for go by different names.

Happy Worker said...

this reminds me a bit of how, when I was little, I loved to play board games but my sister didn't. so... I would often end up playing the games by myself. I would set up multiple players and always tell myself that I was going to remain neutral and objective and give each "player" an equal shot (yes, I used words such as neutral and objective when I was seven).

it's great in theory but ultimately, there was always one piece that became the real me, one piece that I was playing harder for than the others and so I can't help but think the same thing would happen if I hired myself as my own spokesperson.

plus, don't you think the taxes would get incredibly messy?