March 18, 2008

should I stay or should I go?

so I've started looking for my own place. I've been out and about checking out properties the past two weekends. I had sorta kinda decided that I wanted to live in Denver instead of Boulder but now I'm questioning that decision.

what reasons do I have to live in Denver? it's more diverse and a lot cheaper. those are two good reasons. there's more culture, too and I like that. and did I mention it's more diverse?

but there are reasons to stay in boulder too. I work here. property is pretty much guaranteed to appreciate nicely (everyone here is absurdly well off and because you're not allowed to develop any new land). and the meager life I have in Colorado is here in Boulder. it's also beautiful and chill. and those are all good things.

so now, I'm basically having a bit of a freakout about what to do. part of me thinks I should move to Denver and part of me thinks that if I do, I'll be totally lonely and it will be a repeat (though on a smaller scale) of my move from PA to CO two years ago. that was definitely one of the rougher times in my life and I don't really want to repeat it.

I'm also worried that one of the things pushing me towards Denver is Boy. he and I have been kind of on and off and then more off and then, somehow, back on over the past few months. he lives in Denver (owns a place there) and I think he thinks we'd be completely on if we lived closer. thinking about this rationally, I think it's crap. it's not like we live thousands of miles away. it's like 25. and what difference is a 30 minute commute to Boulder vs. a 20 minute commute to another part of Denver really going to make? probably not much.

so since realizing that Boy could be about half of why I'm thinking about Denver, I'm basically having a bit of a freakout about what to do. maybe the Denver decision is completely wrong. and god knows I don't want to make a decision (like buying a house) for a relationship that's only so-so.

I guess there's the option of renting a place in Denver, seeing how it goes, and going from there but honestly, I'm 33, prices are low, and I've been a renter for way too long. it's time for some stability and funky paint colors.

so, what to do, what to do, what to do? opinions welcome...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you have more reasons for wanting to stay in Boulder. Plus, deciding to buy in Boulder and then later sell and move to Denver (should you so decide) sounds like it would be easier than the other way around.

I wouldn't get freaked out by the lack of diversity. I think people tend to put a high premium on it without having a specific reason for doing so, and homogeneity certainly increases the chances that there's going to be more stuff you like. I realize that's an unfashionable opinion, but, in the words of Groucho Marx, if you don't like it, I have others.

Happy Worker said...

maybe your opinion is so unfashionable that it's cool?

I'm home in PGH right now and having some space to think about it all, I think staying in Boulder is the right decision. really, Denver's not all that diverse either so it's not like it would be that much of an improvement. and, honestly, I've been a little hard on Boulder lately. yes, it's its own, little world but is that so bad?

it's the perfect little town and as creepy as that might sometimes be, there are still a lot good things that go along with being perfect. sooooo... Boulder it is! now I just need to work up the guts to tell my Denver real estate guy "thanks, but no thanks." god I love email. it makes rejection so much easier.

Anonymous said...

Roger that about email. I used to insist that breaking up with someone via text message wasn't, strictly speaking, breaking up over the phone.

Also, I love the phrase "there are still a lot of good things that go along with being perfect." so ironic, but so useful.