yesterday was my two year anniversary of living in Boulder. that means my blog has been around for two years too. that's a long time and it sort of explains why I've grown a bit tired of this sort of thing and haven't posted in a while.
however, a friend (who shall remain nameless but I know you know who you are) and I both made new years resolutions to write more. because we have the same resolution, we thought we could peer pressure each other into writing more. it worked for a few weeks (I was writing in a journal, not the blog so you couldn't see that I was writing but I was) but recently, it's all fallen apart. however, we made an agreement to both write today and so to make sure that I did it, I committed to the post.
anyway, you don't need to know all of that. but see, I'm rusty so I'm not so in tune with what it is that you want. but, so getting to the point... I've mostly been exhausted recently. there are many, many, many things going on at work, which is a good thing. after spending my first year and a half out here not using my brain at work, I appreciate being able to use it these days.
this week we've had a huge sales/education event going on so I've had to do a lot of meet-and-greet type stuff. I don't want to make it sound like I'm being fake - I really do enjoy meeting new people and I've been having lots of fun - but for me, being an extrovert takes a lot of energy. I can do it for a short period of time and then I'm drained. I've had about five straight days of the stuff right now and I'm more than ready for some quiet time.
tonight we had dinner with the creative agency that works with the marketing department. it was sort of the pinacle of the week - the last real event - like the last mile in a 10K. you know you're almost there and that's a great feeling. however, you know you still have like 15% more to go. and that's still something. it's still work. it's still a little awkward. there are still moments of uncomfortable silence.
however, the agency peoople are cool, fun people from san fran and I feel a general sense of comfort with all of them and I don't quite know why. I think, perhaps, I'm too comfortable with them, sharing too much, treating these people as if they're my friends when really, they're just taking my company's money. but maybe I shouldn't over think it.
we went to a place in town called the kitchen which is excellent and cozy and elegant and comfortable all at the same time. I ate too much, talked too much, and drank just the right amount. it was a good night, I guess, as far as business dinners go. as I was walking home alone after dinner, already imagining myself in my pj's, I saw what I thought was a cat scamper across the street beneath the street light. but as I got closer, the creature stopped in its tracks and doubled back, crossing the street again just a few feet in front of me. this time I could see it wasn't a cat but a fox - sleek and alert and, well, what else is there to say? sometimes I get so sick of boulder but sometimes, at moments like that, or moments like this morning when the pink sunrise was shining off the snowy flatirons, I think there's no better place to be.
January 31, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
As a former employee of a creative agency, I encourage you to talk and share and consider them friends. It will make them love you and work harder for you.
I'm starting a blog, too. Egads.
Get back on that writing horse and ride it like you stole it! (Umm...or something. I'm not good with metaphors.)
Anyway, it is good to be friends with the agency people. A lot of people under-share, and then you don't get what you want from them...because they don't know you well enough.
And I totally understand about the meet-and-greets. The enforced perkiness side of marketing is incredibly draining.
Don't worry, I'm on it again and have been riding for the past two days! (Does this comment count as day #3? Hmm... probably not.)
I guess my concern with the agency was that I'd go overboard and creep them out. However, they do seem to legitimately like me. Am I crazy? No I think they like me.
It probably has something to do with me being one of the only people on the team that has any kind of education and/or background in web/information design so I actually make good, educated comments during our meeting. Plus, I'm charming as hell after a few glasses of wine.
Um... yeah...
Post a Comment