I had a "date" over the weekend, I guess. I say I guess because in any other part of the country, a ten mile hike wouldn't qualify as a date but here, things are different.
the "date" was with a guy whom, for various reasons, I refer to as cupcake. I originally met cupcake in my yoga class and was bothered by him because, quite frankly, I think it's creepy when guys hit on you in yoga. totally not right. but then, this being Boulder and everyone knowing everyone, I kept running into cupcake and eventually, he said "wanna get together for a hike sometime?" I didn't but I was totally thrown by the question (I also had low blood sugar and had also just spent three hours with a very high-energy friend) so I could only say "oh, um... yeah... we'll work something out in yoga sometime..." (at least I was smart enough not to give him my number.)
then I didn't go to yoga for a month. when I finally went back to class, I was able to avoid cupcake for a few weeks by sitting in the back and quickly rolling up my mat and fleeing the scene as soon as class was over. however, cupcake caught on and so one day last week, he got out of class and cornered me before I could leave. he asked about the hike again and I said okay, fine. I gave him my email address (still no digits) and we set up the hike.
the whole thing was about an eight hour ordeal - pretty ambitious for a first "date," don't you think? well I guess it's a good way to get to know someone. the hike itself was beautiful (beautiful trail, beautiful weather) and he was not an uninteresting guy. however, he's not an unweird guy either. what, exactly, do I mean? well, we were about 15 min. into the date when he brought up the first strange conversation topic which was the pictures his sister sent him of her colonsocopy. other strange topics included a really gross port-a-potty story (followed by him insisting I tell him my grossest port-a-potty story ever), gross dialoge from the movie king pin (he got on this topic after asking me "so what's amish country like?"), the ghost he saw, no, no, no felt, standing above him in his bedroom one morning, and of course, the popluar "I'm ready to settle down and have kids" topic. seriously, what's up with this one? does this happen to other people too or is it just me to whom guys feel the need to confess their desire to have offspring?
he also (and I think without asking) finished the rest of my apple that I was about to throw away. that totally grossed me out because, as we all know, the apple is nature's toothbrush so basically, this guy used my toothbrush on our first date.
so that was it. I guess it could have been worse, right? oh wait. he smelled my armpit at the end of the hike so maybe not.
July 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
If you were writing a comedic screenplay and included this scene, the first note the studio would come back with would be "Too farcical."
This may have topped any strange first date I've ever had, including one at the rodeo. Congrats.
I'm sorry but that's what you get when you violate Rule 1: don't date men on whom you've bestowed fey nicknames.
Post a Comment