I'm beginning to think that the Design within Reach catalog (and store) is meant to be taken ironically because how could you think that a $250 pillow is within walking distance, let alone within reach?
I think it literally is supposed to be "design within walking distance." or "design that we let you look at...stupid human." and not "design you can afford." There's a design within reach store-gallery-thing in Princeton, and it confuses me. I want to ask it why it's here.
So, I have a friend who's too rich for his own good who explained this to me. He bought a loft in San Francisco and hired a decorator to help him decorate. The decorator took him to these secret warehouses where decorators shop for furniture, etc. (I'm not kidding, this is true!) They had stuff there that my friend says isn't available elsewhere and isn't available to the general public. So he explained that Design Within Reach was actually referring to the fact that they're letting you shop there (w/o an interior decorator) not a place you can afford. Go figure...
seriously? that's what it means? it's not that they are providing us (the common folk) access to over priced goods at a reasonable price point, it's that they're giving us the privilege of looking at the over priced goods?
i always think "dwr" stands for "design without resources." but that still doesn't make sense, unless you count "resources" as access to interior designer warehouses full of cool shit.
7 comments:
I think it literally is supposed to be "design within walking distance." or "design that we let you look at...stupid human." and not "design you can afford." There's a design within reach store-gallery-thing in Princeton, and it confuses me. I want to ask it why it's here.
there's one in Boulder too! right down the street from me. I've honestly never seen anyone in it.
I guess the pillow is stuffed with $20's?
On a related note, this place has always seemed creepy for no reason I can vocalize:
http://themut.com/
So, I have a friend who's too rich for his own good who explained this to me. He bought a loft in San Francisco and hired a decorator to help him decorate. The decorator took him to these secret warehouses where decorators shop for furniture, etc. (I'm not kidding, this is true!) They had stuff there that my friend says isn't available elsewhere and isn't available to the general public. So he explained that Design Within Reach was actually referring to the fact that they're letting you shop there (w/o an interior decorator) not a place you can afford. Go figure...
seriously? that's what it means? it's not that they are providing us (the common folk) access to over priced goods at a reasonable price point, it's that they're giving us the privilege of looking at the over priced goods?
design within hopping distance
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160179815566&ih=006&category=20563&ssPageName=STORE:PROMOBOX:CUST
and who would have thought designer pillows would be such a hot topic?
i always think "dwr" stands for "design without resources." but that still doesn't make sense, unless you count "resources" as access to interior designer warehouses full of cool shit.
Post a Comment